A study in problem solving


Over the weekend I spent some time working on another anniversary bouquet! I can't wait to share this one, but it's going to have to wait another week or two so I don't spoil the surprise.

However, there's a reason I bring it up now…


This particular piece called for a handful of roses in shades that just aren't available in doublette, but the blooms themselves definitely called for doublette. Doublette—a specific type of crepe—is more structured, stiffer than the other crepes I typically work with, and the end result is much more smooth and refined. With the other elements in this recipe, I knew it was the only thing that was going to work.

So instead of starting with a shade that was too dark and trying to lighten it (a technique I've done in the past), this time I started with a pure white sheet and decided to color the entire bloom by hand. 


I went petal-by-petal and built up the color in layers. There were two combinations for this arrangement—a pale mauvy-purple blend, and a light pink that had some coral undertones.

Both turned out exactly like I'd hoped, but I'm particularly fond of the blush version. I find that most pale pink options in crepe are too pink—so this may be my new go-to to get just the right tone I've been wanting. (At least until the new palette I'm waiting for comes out!)

I made an extra backup bloom while I was working just in case the bouquet needed it—but it was perfect as planned.

So instead, I turned this piece into this week's study by adding a little bud and some hand-shaded greenery. Working with pastels takes a lot of extra time and patience (and clean up!), but the end result is well worth the effort. 

This piece is now available here, along with a few other studies that are still up for grabs.

Until next week!